Sunday, May 24, 2009

Social Networking in Libraries

Before choosing to take the optional adventure and create my own Facebook account I never thought there was much point to any of these social networks, why can't people meet in person or pick up a phone if they want to talk.
I am now an advocate for Facebook, what an experience I created an account and typed in the name of my high school and dates that I attended and wallup there in front of me was half a dozen people I had gone to school with twenty odd years ago waiting for me to contact them.

I can now see how these Social networks could be used in a library, we could have links from our webpage for various subject FaceBooks such as a Genealogy Facebook for users to share information and help each other. Non-English language Facebooks (eg German, Japanese) as within our community we have clients from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

I have noticed within our library that the senior clientele seem to embrace new technology, I think if we teach them how to use these social networks they will enjoy using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment